Just F#%*ing Do It
A lot of people, myself included, seem to lack motivation sometimes.
They procrastinate, make excuses, waste time, feel the need to find inspirational quotes online to spur them forward. (And by "they" I mean "me," obviously.)
I say screw that.
When it comes down to it, just about every fork in the road, every moment when we have the option to do anything, we are making one single decision: do it or don’t do it. Over and over. Every time.
So here’s the only motivational quote you need right now: Just F#%*ing Do It.
Apply it to everything. Here are a few examples:
- Is there something you want to do and it won’t hurt anyone if you do it? Just F#%*ing Do It.
- Is there something you’re afraid of? Just F#%*ing Do It.
- Is there something you really don’t want to do but you know you have to? Just F#%*ing Do It.
- Is there something that fits the previous statement but you’ve been putting it off and now your level of dread has reached incapacitating levels? Just F#%*ing Do It.
- Is there something that might improve your life, help others, give you confidence, brighten someone’s day, or have other positive consequences for yourself or others? Just F#%*ing Do It.
- Is there something outside your comfort zone but with potential to expand your personal horizons in life? Just F#%*ing Do It.
Those are just a few examples. Here are some real-life scenarios for applying this single-step methodology:
- That person you’ve been meaning to call, to whom you always say “We should talk more often” or “We should totally hang out soon,” but it’s been a while? JFDI. It’s not that hard.
- That project you were thinking about starting but you wanted to wait until you have time or you have to buy that one thing or you’re not confident in your abilities to pull it off? JFDI. It doesn’t matter.
- That thing that’s been sitting in your To Do List for what seems like forever and maybe it’s not all that hard but it takes a little time and focus to get it done? JFDI. You’ll feel better when you do.
Who woulda thought Nike pretty much had it right from the beginning? (Probably the Nike PR team, that’s who. But they didn’t curse, which adds a little more weight to the statement in my opinion.) Of course, even the most productive of us will be met with a lack of motivation or inspiration or just have one of those days where you know things aren’t getting done. That’s fine. Forgive yourself. Then tomorrow, Just F#%*ing Do It.
Now stop reading this, get off your ass, and Just F#%*ing Do It already!